Research Presentation

Photo by Kyle Glenn on Unsplash

Photo by Morvanic Lee on Unsplash

For a class assignment, we had to present our projects individually through presentations. These were then graded by classmates through a rubric based on:

– Knowledge
– Presentation skills
– Critical thinking

Residential schooling

My research project was on Residential schooling for Indigenous Children: The harmful practices of Residential School and their impact on the Indigenous Population. The basis of my presentation was to present my thoughts and ideas for my research paper, which meant that I did not include as much background knowledge, especially since the time limit was 5 minutes. (I can include my PowerPoint within this page 😊 )

As I said within my presentation, the topic of residential schooling is not a subject that is taught at home, and it is incredibly interesting to see how they were treated and what the education officials thought they were doing to help these students. The punishments the students endured were cruel and unjust. For instance, they would lock children in a dark cupboard for hours (or days) without any food or would even endure whippings and humiliation in front of peers. Despite the last school being closed in 1996, an official apology was only issued to residential students in 2008.

Watching and listening to other presentations, I found that the class had researched a multitude of different topics. This ranged from sports in schools, to autism, the Beattie sisters and also different methods of teaching within elementary schools (Such as the Montessori programme). The presentations gave us a chance to find out new information and to teach each other new topics we would not have thought to teach ourselves.